Please forgive the misspelling of the word “pedestal” in the above image.
Well, today was a busy day again. You’re looking at a picture of the interior of our Surge Guard Protection electric monitoring system. It’s fried! I fear to imagine what would have happened if I hadn’t smelled something burning in the basement this morning. Blue and I were ready to go out for the day when this occurred. If the the heat wouldn’t ultimately shut down the electricity (coming from the electric pedestal provided by the National Park) the motor home would have burned to the ground. This would have been a major catastrophe since all the hosts here share one site. We’re packed together, like sardines in a can. The proximity of another coach could have been fatal and at least disastrous for my partners. The electricity never shut off….only the smell of something burning alerted me to the trouble. I ran outside, opened the compartment door, saw a wisp of smoke and shut down the electric pedestal.
A new “protector” will be installed later this week. Accidents like this are always unnerving and can be a challenge to overcome mentally. But, let’s face it, we all live on the edge anyway. This is just another part of life’s adventure. I’m putting a smoke alarm and maybe an automatic foam fire extinguisher in the compartment.